SupremeX Folding Carton
5454 Cote de Liesse
Montreal, QC, H4P 1A5
The Assistant Controller shall be responsible for assisting the Controller with the management of overall financial operations of Supremex Inc, and will work with the controller to provide accurate information to Management, including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and preparing financial reports. The Assistant Controller will aid the Controller in directing and managing the company's accounting functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures, preparing financial statements and reporting to top management and externally. The Assistant Controller will also maintain the company's accounting systems and implement changes as required by the Controller.
Reports To: Controller
- Assist Controller in managing the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting.
- Prepare and administer the payroll for all division employees, while auditing payroll processing reports for accuracy.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Budgeting and forecasting.
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly, quarterly and annual operating results for each department.
- Work with Controller and operations to define, measure, analyze, improve and control current processes which impact customer quality and influence internal operating efficiency.
- Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making.
- Work with external auditors and the Corporate Finance team.
- Prepare and present financial information for quarterly and annual reports.
- Assist with the management of foreign exchange transactions.
- Aid Controller to manage research and development program for CCRA and accounting requirements.
- Work with sales team on product pricing, costing and margins.
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information.
- Implement and manage internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures.
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Assist Controller in setting the priorities within accounting group.
- Coordinate the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements.
- Coordinate all other customer and government audits.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met.
- Responsible for all other financial reporting to various companies and agencies (TPC, Insurance, Stats Can, etc.).
- Generate reports of performance against budgets.
- Support new systems or project selections and implement them from a strategic finance and internal control perspective.
- Ensure rapid and consistent collection of receivables by refining and implementing control mechanisms.
- Assign and authorize cheques, purchase orders and invoices.
- Work with Controller to promote and maintain positive corporate relations with the financial community.
- With input from the CFO, work with the Controller on the formulation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
- Hiring, training, mentoring and supervising accounting staff.
- Other related duties and projects as required or assigned.
- 5+ years professional accounting experience within a manufacturing environment (print or packaging related industry an asset).
- Management and/or supervisory experience preferred.
- University degree in Business/Accounting, with a professional accounting designation (CPA - CA, CGA, CMA).
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications.
- Experience overseeing audits performed by external audit firms.
- Financial reporting, analysis, budgeting and some strategic planning experience.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records and the like is essential.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel.
- Knowledge of ERP computer systems an asset.
- Ability to adapt to and learn new software.
- Knowledge of publicly traded companies an asset.
- Proficient leadership, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand.
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines.
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Attention to detail in all areas of work.